Terry and Janet

Terry and Janet

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Smell of Money?

So we were off on our road trip to Chimbote.. the fish capital of Peru. You can smell it miles away. They say that it is the smell of money. I will try to think of it that way as I am sniffing my wrist for a scent of my perfume. Tomorrow I will wear more perfume!Over the river and through the woods is nothing we have seen... But we did go through the desert and through this tunnel.
Here is the chapel in Chimbote... notice the huge security wall around it. They are around every church building here in Peru. Every time we arrive at a church they open the big gates to put the car in safely. You do not park your car on the street ever! They strip them very fast.

But this is all they had to ramp our car up unto the church property. They crumbled very easily. We brought the mini van for more room but boy did we need the four wheeler. After a hundred different ideas and tries.. and a few close calls to a disaster, they decided to ...
Park the car at this sweet members home a couple blocks away.. She opened these two giant gates into what I called the secret bat cave. (Why don't I wear a helmut camera.) I was too busy herding her chickens and rooster and dogs back into her property to take pictures. I am not kidding. I loved it. Then when we came back to leave... her big double gates were blocked with about 10 cars all jacked up with no wheels. It turned into a mechanics shop right out in front of her door. So we waited to get the car out after they finished with a couple of tire changes.
You have got to love Peru... We do!