Terry and Janet

Terry and Janet

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dogs on the Roof

When we arrived in Peru I couldn't believe how many dogs were on the
roofs of the houses. The houses here in Trujillo always have a partially built room on top of the home where they hang their clothes to dry and
I guess let their dogs live... It's like the laundry room, but never ever finished...There are always piles of bricks sitting around.
I love looking at these dogs because I try to imagine what they are seeing and what they are saying to each other.
Some of our Elders were walking down a street and some bricks came falling off a house and almost hit them on the head and as they looked up to see what was going on, a dog came flying off the roof and landed on one of the Elders head and chest and knocked him to the ground with the dog landing on top.
He said they were both just stunned for a minute. And then they were rolling around with each other trying to get up.
They both finally got to their feet and the Elder said the dog looked at him like
wow, thanks for saving my life.
I wish I had a video of that dog story because I have always been
so entertained/fascinated by these dogs on the roof.


Elder Reina told me that when he was in Cajamarca, he and is companion had a dog start following them everywhere. No matter how early they left their apartment, no matter how long they were teaching at an appointment, no matter if they would run to try to ditch him, the dog was always with them. Their pensionista, (the lady that cooks for them) started calling the dog the "third companion". One day as they were heading out to go teach at an appointment, here came the third companion, but today he had on a white shirt and tie. The pensionista told them that if the dog was going to teach with them, he should be dressed appropriately.
I need a picture of this dog too.