Terry and Janet

Terry and Janet

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Jahaida in Cajamarca

We made it... we picked up Elder and Sister Uceda at the airport and we are back at Cajamarca. You know what that means. We are in the little motel room in the square of the city. It has the balcony that overlooks the center. I took this picture of Terry late at night so it isn't great but I wanted you to see where I watch this little girl below.
Every time we come, I watch this little girl that has a refreshment stand right below the hotel room. She is SIX. Her brother that is a little older has another stand further down. I have hours of footage of her on my video camera from past trips. I felt I had to protect her while Terry was at Priesthood training meetings at night. She is there until late at night.
Her name is Jahaida. We talk back and forth from the balcony.
She is always happy.
One night her little sister was there. She looked about 3 years old.
I asked her all about her. She is really five but has a tumor on her spine so
she is small for her age.
This time when we came, I asked her how her little sister was doing and
she said not very good.
Oh boy, talk about a helpless situation. Last time I sent the assistants to find the mother and teach her the gospel. They found her and gave her pamphlets, told her where the church was,
but she has been overwhelmed with the illness of the little girl and
running all these little stands.
It started raining today and Jahaida pulled out a tarp and covered everything and
sat underneath it.
Is she adorable? Arghhhh... this is definitely the hardest thing for me in Peru...
The Children... that are on the streets trying to make some money.
Tomorrow we have a conference with the missionaries and
Elder and Sister Uceda.
That is something to look forward too.