Terry and Janet

Terry and Janet

Thursday, April 5, 2012

And I Saw a Pillar of Light...

There were sweet happenings this afternoon with these Elders.
President was teaching one lesson with 
Elder Tierra and Elder Rodriquez
and they were taking turns passing
it back and forth between the three of them.

They were teaching a woman the first lesson
and when it was the President's turn to teach...
It was time to share the "First Vision"
He was excited because he hasn't taught it for a while.
He said that when the words started to come out of his mouth
"And I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head
above the brightness of the sun"...
the room was filled with a spirit that you could not deny.

(which by the way, I have never been in a teaching experience
where missionaries are sharing the story of Joseph Smith
that the Spirit wasn't there)

After President Turk finished teaching about Joseph,
He asked her what she felt about this experience.
She paused and then said that she knew that is was the truth...
and that she felt the spirit that was there.

She told them that she really wants to learn more
but that she has never learned how to read.
The missionaries told her that they will visit her and read with her.
They are also having a member of the Relief Society
come to her home and start teaching her how to read.
Regardless if she is baptized or not..
We would love to help her gain this valuable gift of reading.

My mother taught Relief Society sisters how to read in our home.
It was so sweet to see their happiness
as they gained this life altering skill.
I am excited for this woman.
I will let you know what happens.

President saw these darling children on the street..
He pulled out his camera phone
and they all posed for this photo...
He knows that nothing makes me happier than these
beautiful, happy children.
They are full of love and innocence.

It is going to be very difficult for me to take all of the 
beautiful Peruvian children home with me after the mission.
I want them all!
I fall in love with every single one of them.
The hard part will be all of their angry parents chasing after me.